Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Oh What A Difference A Day Makes

When it comes to exercise lately, I’ve been a bit spotty. Last week was a big fail in that area. I only exercised once, on Monday. And I skipped this Monday too. If it gets to a certain point of the day, I just don’t feel like working out anymore. I always start the day with good intentions though. I get dressed in my workout gear and then I dilly dally around, and before you know it, it just feels too late for me.

I don’t really like doing cardio on an empty stomach. So, my plan is always to get my strength training done before I eat breakfast, then have my daily cereal, then get in my elliptical workout. Last week, I did this, that or the other thing, and before I knew it, it was 10:30 in the morning, and I knew my endurance wouldn’t hold out for my elliptical workout. So, I then told myself to get it in after I eat lunch. By that point, I just don’t feel like it.

Yesterday was one of those days. I fiddled around doing random things, and before I knew it, it was time for lunch. I had my lunch, and then felt guilty for not exercising. My husband had a short day, and he pretty much kicked my butt into gear. He told me to suck it up and do my mile. I did. It was about 1:00 PM, but I did 40 minutes. Got in about 1.1 miles and could have kept going. I could have probably pushed myself to get in a full hour, but decided I better not.

Good thing too. My legs felt just fine this morning. When I got on my elliptical, I was about 18 minutes in and felt like I was going to die. I managed to get my mile in (or pretty close to it, as I took the batteries out of my display screen), but I took multiple breaks. I also switched shoes for the last 7 minutes.

That was the longest mile ever. It seemed like it would never be over. But I pushed through and got it done. I’m stiff now, and every time I stand up I groan. I need to stretch, and see how I feel tomorrow.

My Five Finger exercise progress is going well. I upped my time with them from 5 minutes to 7 and things still seem to be OK. I’ll stay with the 7-minute plan for a few weeks and then up it to 10 minutes.

It’s all about consistency. I’ve not been consistent at all with my working out lately. I need to remind myself, it doesn’t matter how late in the day it gets…do it anyway. I always feel a lot better after I get in my mile. Yes, morning is best for me, but it won’t kill me to get it in later in the day.

Mileage update

I’m closing in fast on the 300 mile mark of the virtual walk. That snuck up on me. Here are the last several pictures from the site.

Mile 287.8                                                                             Mile 288.8

287.8                  288.8

Mile 289.9                                                                             Mile 291

289.8                  291

Mile 292                                                                                 Mile 293

292                    293


(photo credit - Copyright 2006 Lawrence Berkeley Lab)

Do you ever procrastinate your workout routines? Do you take the off if it “gets too late”, or do you suck it up and get it done anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment