Tuesday, April 22, 2014

FitBit One: Experiment Results

(photo credit: Me)

Ok, so I'm done with my FitBit One experiment. I did have varying results, especially with the Leslie Sansone DVD. What I did with the DVD portion of the experiment is I used the 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk DVD. I did mile 1 three times. I wanted to be sure I did the same movements and steps, so I just replayed the same mile.

The first time I ran through it I wore the FitBit One on my shoe. Next time through, I wore it on the waistband of my workout shorts. The third time through, I wore it on my bra. Here are the results.

On Shoe
Mile 1 - Steps: 1,001
Mile 1 - Mileage .44

On Waist
Mile 1 - Steps - 1449
Mile 1 - Mileage - .69

On Bra
Mile 1 -  Steps 1534
Mile 1 - .73

So, as you can see, no matter where I wore it, her "mile" wasn't exactly a mile. Which I've known for a while because I did the test with my FitBit Force. I found it surprising that I got the least amount of steps with it on my shoe. Which leads me to the question: What counts as a "step"? Is it one step per foot (left foot one, right foot two) or is it one step per revolution of both feet (one step every time the right foot hits the ground)? Does that make sense?

I was pleasantly surprised with the waistband number. Considering my initial test, when it didn't register any steps, it was a nice surprise. The bra result isn't too surprising. 

Now, what about the elliptical? I switched the FitBit's position every .25 mile. I do 400 revolutions every quarter mile. Here are those results.

On Shoe
Steps - 602
Mileage- .27

On Waist
Steps - 844
Mileage - .37

On Bra
Steps - 835
Mileage - .36

Interesting results again. The shoe isn't surprising. Remember, when I take a break, I'm still taking steps to walk to my seat. Although with the shoe results, I don't see how I got an extra 200 steps. 

I think from now on, I'll be wearing my FitBit One on my bra. That way I know it won't get squished or fall out when I'm playing ball with the dog on the floor. I will have to be careful if I lay down on my stomach. That's rare though.

This was a very fun experiment, and I'm pleased with the results. The FitBit One is definitely very motivating and helps me get up and move more.

How about you? How do you define a "step"?

Keep moving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment