Thursday, January 21, 2010

Update On Goals And Where I've Been

It's been too long since my last entry here. I could say I've been busy. Busy going places, busy meeting people, busy writing. But, alas, I've just been lazy. Well, not exactly lazy. I have been doing things. I've been doing a ton of housework in the last few weeks. My mother in-law was out of town and I got busy the day she left, getting this place clean. Well, cleaner anyway.

Then for the last five days I've been staring out the windows at the rain! Living in the desert, we don't see much rain, so when it comes, I love to watch it and listen to it. Watching the drops fall into the pool and having actual rain CLOUDS make the day turn into night is awesome. Makes me miss living in Seattle, or Macon, or Miami (I've lived in all three). Plus the rain has made our temperatures drop. We're having highs in the 60s instead of 70s. Today, I don't think it reached 60. It was great!

All this rain has made me think back to when I was a kid growing up in Miami. I used to love going outside and stomping around the driveway in all of the puddles. Having light skin, I burn easily, so I didn't really like going out in the sun much (20 minutes and I'm as red as a lobster), but I loved going out the rain.

Like I said, I haven't been totally lazy. I've kept up with my exercising. I haven't missed a day of strength training for about two or three weeks now. And the pilates is going well. I mentioned in a previous post that I would be switching Pilates videos every week. Well, I've decided to stick with the Crunch: Pick Your Spot Pilates and stop doing Crunch: Super Simdown. There were just too many movements I had to modify. I get a much better workout with the Pick Your Spot routine.

I'm still not back on my elliptical. My left ankle is still a bit sore. But it is gradually getting better. I forget to use the heating pads on it, and when I forget, it seems to flare up again. I need to keep it warm. I love the cooler weather we're having, but it's not playing nice with my ankle.

I mentioned in another entry that one of my SparkPeople teams is having a goal setting challenge. For goal number two I chose to work on my balance practice. I'm still keeping up with that. I spend about 10 minutes while watching TV balancing on one foot and then the other, switching off every minute. It's going well. I feel more stable and secure. I'm also paying more attention to my posture and am doing my best to make sure I'm not slouching.

For the third goal of that challenge, we had to work diligently with our partner. We each had to choose another goal to work on for that week. I chose to get eight cups of water down me every day. My partner chose cardio. We had to challenge each other to meet our goal. One of the rules was that whatever we challenged our partner with, we had to do the same. Now my partner had no problem at all with the eight cups of water. And with me having a bum ankle, it was hard for me to do cardio. But I chose for us to do the 10 minute SparkPeople cardio videos that are on the site. I had to modify the videos a bit, especially the Jump Rope video, but I never stopped moving the entire time. We're still waiting to hear what goal number four is. Today was the last day for the third goal, and I'm kind of surprised we haven't been told what the fourth goal is. I'm sure we'll find out soon though. In the meantime, I'll continue my balance work and water drinking.

Well, this entry is long enough. I'll end it here for now. I'll get into a more normal writing pattern soon, I'm sure. How have you all been doing the last week or so? Remember, keep on moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment