Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Toasted Nut Brulee" Tea Review

I had the “Toasted Nut Brulee” tea from Teavana as an afternoon drink on Tuesday. This was the tea I was most looking forward to, just by the description on the website:

“Savor each sip of this rich tea blend and its hazelnut cream brulee flavor while giving your body a health kick. It is the best dessert you'll find.” - Teavana.com

This tea's ingredients include:

  • Oolong

  • Apple bits

  • Roobios

  • Candied pineapple bits (pineapple sugar)

  • Candied papaya bits (papaya sugar)

  • Cinnamon

  • Roasted chicory root

  • Flavoring

  • Ginger bits

  • Coconut chips

  • Roasted almonds

  • Hazelnut bits

  • Cardamom


When I first opened the package, the most prominent smell was cinnamon. I also could easily pick out the ginger. I smelled a little bit of the hazelnut, but barely. I didn't smell any of the fruit bits when I first opened it.

This tea says to use one teaspoon for every eight ounces. I only used one teaspoon for 16, and I think I may have to use the full two teaspoons with this tea. Either that, or let it steep longer. It said to let it steep for up to three minutes. I actually let it steep for four. I may try to let it go for five or six and see what happens.

This is a lighter brewing tea, and as it steeped, I could smell the cinnamon and ginger the most. I had to take a few sips before I could really taste it (another reason to let it steep longer, or use two teaspoons). The cinnamon and ginger were the most prominent in the taste category. Near the end of my 16 ounces, I was smelling more of the fruits. I could pick out the papaya smell a bit more, and maybe a little bit of the apple. But it was still mainly the spices.

I think I would recommend this tea as a drink to have on a chilly night. It would make a good “comfort” drink during the winter season. If the apple taste was stronger, I would say this would remind me of warm apple pie, so the web site's description of it being a “dessert” is somewhat accurate. This tea does contain nuts, so if you have a nut allergy, be aware.

I may revise this review once I've tried this tea again. Will use the full two teaspoons next time.

Check out my other tea reviews from Teavana:

"My Morning Maté"
"Maté Vana"
"Weight To Go! Pu-erh Tea"
"Roobios Peach Bloom Tea"
Maté Lemon Blast Herbal Tea"

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the #fitblog chat last night. Love it! My 17-year-old brother in law has mild CP, so I really want to pass your site on to him! You're an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey. Thanks for stopping by! And thank you for the compliment. :) I enjoyed the #fitblog chat also Tuesday night. Hope I can make more of them.

    ReplyDelete